Source: Vegetarian Times, February 2011 Edition
Makes a dozen large cupcakes, or 2 dozen mini cupcakes
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
5 tbs margarine or unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup skim buttermilk
1 large egg
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 oz. low-fat cream cheese or mascarpone, softened
2 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
2 teaspoon finely chopped crystallized ginger, optional SS: I did not use this
- Preheat oven 350 F. Coat 2 12-cup mini-muffin pans with cooking spray.
- To make Cupcakes: Combine sugar, molasses, and margarine in saucepan. Heat over medium-ow heat 3 to 4 minutes, or until margarine is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat, and cool 15 minutes.
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg in bowl. Whisk in molasses mixture.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in separate bowl. Whisk buttermilk mixture into flour mixture.
- Fill muffin cups to within 1/8 inch of rims. Bake 12 minutes, SS: I baked them for about 22 minutes, or until cupcakes are puffed and set. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack.
- To make Topping: whip cream cheese, honey, and orange zest with fork in bowl until smooth. Dollop 1 teaspoon, SS: More like a tablespoon for the regular-sized cupcakes, topping mixture onto cupcakes, and sprinkle with crystallized ginger, if using.