Cod with Korean Flavors

I found my first fish filet that I enjoyed in COD! Who knew! If you don't remember, I haven't really liked the taste of any of the fish dishes that I've cooked in the past. I think I just don't like the taste of most fish filets. I love other seafoods including mussels, oysters, crawfish and calamari to name a few. This dish was super easy, and the sauce on the rice was SOOOOO good. This is definitely a dish that I will re-visit and try again.

Roasted Cod with Korean Flavors
Serves 4
Source: Weeknight Fresh & Fast by Kristine Kidd


Ingredients
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 large shallot, minced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 1/2 teaspoons serrano chile, minced
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
4 Cod Filets SS: Original recipe called for black cod, I went with regular because the store only had "cod"
2 Green Onions, white and green parts, sliced

Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C)
  • In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the shallot, ginger, and chile, and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and water, and simmer until the mixture is reduced to 3/4 cup (6 fl oz/ 180 ml), about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil. Set aside a small amount of the sauce for brushing.
  • Brush a small baking pan with olive oil, and place the fish, skin side down, in the pan. Brush the fish with the reserved sauce. SS: Since you're also going to pour the sauce on the rice, I'd suggest putting some of the sauce in a separate dish if you don't like to double dip in raw fish. Roast until just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer the fish to plates, sprinkle with green onions, and serve right away, passing the remaining sauce alongside.
I served the fish over brown rice. It would have gone perfectly with some broccoli rabe on the side, but since this was a "family dinner" and my mom wasn't sure if my brother would like broccoli rabe, she fixed green beans - which I hate! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment