Strawberry Summer Cake

Can somebody say "Mmm mmm good?" This was by far, the most delicious summer dessert ever. Fresh strawberries, with a cake batter that's not too sweet, and just the right amount of cake-like texture. I was in heaven! I had to wait for my mom to be home to fix this because with the fresh strawberries, it doesn't last long, and I wasn't about to eat the entire cake by myself. It was totally worth the wait.

Strawberry Summer Cake
Source: Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for pie plate
1 1/2 cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour (can swap 3/4 cup or 94 grams all-purpose flour with 3/4 cup or 75 grams of barley flour, see Note)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup (200 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (25 grams) granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup (118 ml) milk
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
1 pound (450 grams) strawberries, hulled and halved


Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 10-inch pie pan or 9- or 10-inch springform.Whisk flour or flours, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, milk and vanilla until just combined. Add dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth.


Pour into prepared pie plate. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer (though I had to overlap a few to get them all in). Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.


Bake cake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake cake until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about 50 minutes to 60 minutes. (Gooey strawberries on the tester are a given.) Let cool in pan on a rack. Cut into wedges. Serve with lightly whipped cream.

How's that for your Monday morning pleasure?

8 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks so good. Girl, you could do your own sweet treats cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm! I might have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So where was my invite, you know I have a strawberry obsession. I'm so stealing this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will def have to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to let everyone know that this cake really has been a hit! I have made it four times since this post! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

    ReplyDelete