Introducing Naja Simone...

Hello Everyone!

I took a two day hiatus to birth my child, lol!!! I am SOOOO happy to be back in action. Now that Naja is here, I don't know how often I may post baby-related stuff. You know this blog, it goes with the flow and evolves with me. I posted pics (below), but I am taking the time to use this post to share my labor story because I think it's hilarious.

My Labor Story
Tuesday morning I woke up around 5:30 AM, and I felt like I was having more than the regular Braxton-Hicks contractions. I was using the bathroom about every 20 minutes, and I was having contractions about every 10 minutes. I felt pretty miserable. At 6:30 AM, I called my doctor who informed me that I needed to come in when my contractions are only 5 minutes apart. At this point, I think everyone thinks I'm over-reacting, because it's 10 days before my due date, and it is my first child. I continued to time my contractions, which came consistently at 10 minute intervals, then sometime around 8:15 AM my water broke. It was undeniable - it felt like a balloon popped and warm water gushed out. I went to my mom to inform her of the news, and called the doctor's office. They told me to rush right in! I took a quick shower to get ready to head to the hospital, then my mom and I were off!

When we arrived at the hospital, I was met with a nonchalant nurse who hooked me up to a machine to monitor Naja's heart rate and my blood pressure. She left me in the room for a good 20 minutes, I was coping with the contractions well - still planned to go all natural. She came back and took a swab to check to see if I was ruptured, and she said that I wasn't. The swab didn't turn blue, and she said they may send me home. That's when things got a little wratchet.

My contractions were coming a lot more often, I felt nauseous, and I had a dry mouth. I started banging my fist up against the wall, and I called the nurse to see if she could remove the monitor around my belly (watching Naja's heart rate). I also said something like, "I can't believe women still have children with this kind of pain." While waiting for the nurse, my mom asked me if I was sure that I still wanted a natural birth. I asked her if the epidural would eliminate my contraction pain. Her reply, "Oh yes!" My reply, "Then YES, I want the epidural!!!" Thirty minutes later, the nurse came into the room to inform me that we couldn't remove the heart monitor, and that the doctor asked to check me to see if I was dilated. She checked me and I was 5-6 cm and 90% effaced at 9:50 AM. I was quickly admitted to labor and delivery.

The following moments were a blur. I went into the labor and delivery room, they put an oxygen mask on me, and had me sign a lot of papers. My contractions were steadily worsening. I was in pain. I kept asking, "Am I going to have time for the epidural?" They replied, "YES!" I screamed, "AHHHHHHH!" The nurse said, "Honey, that isn't going to help." Then, I pulled the oxygen mask off, and asked if they could remove the heart monitor again. I was really going through it!!! My mom tried to re-focus me on breathing and getting through the contractions. Then - I felt it - like I had to go - and I knew it was Naja. I said, "She's coming!!!" They looked and saw that I was 8-9 cm and 100% effaced. They called my doctor, who was in another building, but after three hard pushes, baby girl was here! The on-call doctor actually delivered Naja. I did have an episiotomy, but I had a natural birth. No pitocin, no epidural! Ok, now for the part you care about - my beautiful baby girl. Introducing Miss Naja Simone...



We don't know who she looks like - I think she'll either look like her father or my mom. It's so hard to tell with newborns. Either way, she's a beauty!

53 comments:

  1. Naja is, indeed, a beauty. Many congratulations!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS!!!! and good luck with your cute little baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, CONGRATS Monique! She's so beautiful and what a hilarious birth story. I'm happy to read you and little Naja are perfectly fine!! :)

    CONGRATS again Mamma Mo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's Beautiful Monique! All of us Uncles will clearly have our hands full. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Monique!! Naja is one lucky little girl to have a strong and brave mama like you. (Ps, I can't wait to see what outfits you pick out for her :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww your baby girl is beautiful, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! She is absolutely beautiful!!! I am so excited for you. Many blessings to you and princess Naja.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! She's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Monique, she's absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG!!!! She's BEAUTIFUL!!! So happy to see that you and baby are well! I had a hunch that baby Naja came considering you hadn't posted since earlier in the week! Congrats on going natural also...that is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  11. congratulations! Baby girl is beautiful! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. congratulations!!! you are already such an awesome mama! she's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh! I love birth stories. There are always curveballs lol...those little people follow their own schedule. She is lovely! She looks so alert for a newborn, I love it. Congratulations that everything went smoothly. And thanks for the efficient posting! wow :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You survived! lol You have a beautiful little girl on your hands. Continue to keep us posted when you can. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my!!! She is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!! Is she smiling already?

    I'm a little bit petrified of birth stories, but I did manage to read yours. I am glad it went well in the end. I think natural births tend to have good recoveries (or so my sister the doctor tells me).

    I hope you really enjoy your special time with her and recover soon! Hope you get plenty of help too, congratulations Mo!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you kidding me? Most newborns look like little aliens, but she is gorgeous! Oh! I can't take it! It sounds like you had a pretty good birthing experience. So happy for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats, she is beautiful! I almost want to say she was looking for food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my - BRAVE girl! Congratulations Monique! I only got to 6cm before I was begging for that epidural. I'm very impressed and happy for you. Sending you sleep vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhhhhhh!!!! She is such a beautiful baby!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful story and gorgeous baby girl! So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. She's beautiful!!! Congratulations on a happy healthy baby girl. <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. She's so pretty. Congratulations!! Sounds like a quick delivery, I was just talking to my boss about her 21 hour labor!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my GOSH! Congratulations! She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations Honey! She is just darling. What a blessing!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations! What a precious, beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yay, she's here! I had a feeling she was going to come early!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats! Funny story, and your baby girl is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. She's absolutely precious! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations! She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats Mo!!! Such a cutie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Rarely do I have baby envy...but your little girl has that glimmer in her eyes...!! She is beyond beautiful, congrats on bringing her into the world;))!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for all of the beautiful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Monique she is so beautiful, your story was hilarious. congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats!! She's beautiful!!! I love your story, I've had three kids already but none of my stories are that good. I commend you for the natural birth. You are a brave woman!!OH goosh she's just too precious!! Congrats once again :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Mo's gotta baaaaaabyyyyyy :)

    Btw. I know I was freaking out over text, but its only because I love you two!

    Can't wait to see her!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow baby naja is here already! Congrats, she is indeed beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a miracle.....congrats dear. Thanks for sharing your experience, its so touching

    ReplyDelete
  38. She's gorgeous congratulations!! Well done you on the birth. It is a funny story

    ReplyDelete
  39. Congrats on having a healthy and beautiful baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Congratulations Monique! Naja is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  41. She is stunning!!! Newborns don't usually smile and she is smiling! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  42. She is beautiful indeed! Congratulations and many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Beautiful is an understatement- Naja is stunning! I hope you share more photos of her- when you get the time and if you feel comfortable, of course. Your birth story is funny to read though I'm sure it was so stressful; I hope you experience a swift recovery. Congratulations. You make gorgeous babies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. She's BEAUTIFUL!!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  45. YAY, BABY!!!! She's soooo cute. Can't wait to meet her.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Crawling out of lurkdom to say congratulations on the arrival your beautiful baby girl! She is absolutely adorable and your birth story had me laughing at my computer...definitely the funniest I've heard. Oh, and I love her name!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Mo,
    She is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! Congratulations on a job well done! :)

    Cori

    ReplyDelete
  48. Awwwww I know I'm late (just now catching up on blog reading after adjusting/celebrating the news that hubby and I are expecting *lol*) but CONGRATULATIONS! She is definitely precious. I look forward to reading your adventures in 1st time mommy hood as I'm headed there soon!

    ReplyDelete