Summer Watermelon Gazpacho

It was really warm on Tuesday. I made this gazpacho because I wanted something savory and refreshing that was also quick and easy. Gazpacho is a tomato soup that is served cold. There are plenty of versions of it with sweet peppers and onions, I opted for a slightly sweeter version with watermelon. It's great for hot summer months because it cools you down, and because tomatoes are right in season, so their taste is vibrant.

I made this soup with my new Breville Juicer  that I got from Williams Sonoma. I used gift cards for 80% of this purchase. I got the gift cards from my job for volunteering to do some extra work. Needless to say, with the juicer in hand, I whipped this up in under 10 minutes!

Summer Watermelon Gazpacho
Source: Me, I pulled from a handful of recipes to come up with my own thing

Ingredients
3/4 lb tomatoes
4 cups watermelon SS: I bought the pre-cut cubes
1/2 small onion
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cucumber, peeled SS: I think I'll use two next time
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup tomato juice SS: Look for it in the juice section
1 cup tomato puree
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Ricotta salata (optional) SS: This cheese has a soft, savory flavor that compliments watermelon very well

Directions
If you have a juicer
Place all of the whole vegetables in the juicer and process. Pour into a bowl and add the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, tomato juice and puree. Add salt and pepper. Stir until well mixed. Pop in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to chill - serve cold. Sprinkle some ricotta salata crumbles on top.

If you do not have a juicer
Chop and seed the tomato and cucumber, chop the onion. Place the onion, tomatoes, cucumber and watermelon in the bowl of a food processor; pulse to chop coarsely. Pour into a bowl and add the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, tomato juice and puree. Add salt and pepper. Stir until well mixed. Pop in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to chill - serve cold. Sprinkle some ricotta salata crumbles on top.


*This soup is vegan without the ricotta salata.

No comments:

Post a Comment