Salmon Burgers with Crispy Cucumbers and Spicy Mustard from Get Cooking
Makes 4 burgers
Two 7.5 oz cans salmon
1/2 cup toasted breadcrumbs *see below for my homemade recipe
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons very finely minced red or yellow onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
Lemon wedges (I didn't use them)
- Open each can of salmon and use the lid to press the salmon down in the can as you tilt it over the sink until most of the liquid has drained out. Put the salmon in a medium-large bowl. Using a fork or your clean fingers, flake the salmon into small pieces. Add the breadcrumbs, eggs, onion, salt, and pepper, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape them into patties, each a generous 1/2-inch thick.
- Place a large (10 to 12 inch) heavy skillet over medium heat. After about minute, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Place the salmon patties in the pan and cook, undisturbed, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom.
- Use a metal spatula to carefully loosen each burger flip it over, adding more oil if the pan seems dry. Cook on the second side for 3 minutes, or until the undersides are nicely browned. Serve each burger with a wedge of lemon.
- Take the heel of your favorite bread and toast it so that it is extra crispy, but not black.
- Crumble the bread in a bowl.
- Toss it in a pan over medium-heat with a drizzle of olive oil with a couple turns of fresh pepper.