Spaghetti and Veg Meatballs

Fall is here! I had to wear a JACKET yesterday because it was so cool! With fall weather comes warm, comfort food. Spaghetti and meatballs is a great way to kick things off.

Spaghetti and Veg Meatballs
Source: Vegetarian Times, September 2011 Issue
Serves 12


Ingredients
3 8-oz pkg. plain seitan, rinsed and rained
1 8-oz. pkg. low-fat cottage cheese or ricotta
1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 tbs lemon juice (About 1 lemon)
2 tbs finely chopped fresh dill
2 tbs. finely chopped fresh min and/or parsley SS: I omitted this because I forgot to get it
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbs olive oil
1 25-oz jar tomato sauce SS: Feel free to use your favorite tomato-based pasta sauce also
1 cup crumbled feta cheese, optional

Directions
1. Pulse setian in food processor until finely ground. SS: Go ahead and pulse the onion too to save yourself some time chopping it. It's all going in the same bowl! Transfer to bowl, and add all ingredients except oil, tomato sauce, and feta. Mash mixture with hands or potato masher until mixture comes together. Season with salt and pepper. Chill 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat baking dish with oil. Scoop seitan mixture into golf ball-size meatballs, and place prepared baking dish. Bake 20 minutes.
3. Pour tomato sauce over meatballs, and sprinkle with feat (if using). Bake 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly.

I think the ricotta addition gave them a unique flavor I normally don't experience. I will definitely fix the meatballs again. I will say I think I made my meatballs too big, and they were not tight, they fell apart somewhat, so I may also adjust the oven cook time, or make them smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment