Crispy Quinoa Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

I know I have about 20 different version of quinoa cakes, but that's because quinoa is my chicken. Most people eat chicken every week in a different variety, so I do the same with quinoa. These cakes were so good, and the sauce really sets them off! What's even better is the fact that this is a quick meal. The downside is that it has a lot of random ingredients. Ironically, I had most of them in my fridge/pantry, so this was a win-win for me!

Crispy Quinoa Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Source: Vegetarian Times, September 2011 Issue
Makes about 7 cakes, serving 2 cakes/person



CRISPY QUINOA CAKES
Ingredients
1 large egg
2 tbs. all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tbs. tahini or nut butter SS: I used peanut butter
1-1/2 tsp. red or white wine vinegar
3/4 cup dried quinoa (to make 1-1/2 cup cooked quinoa)
1/2 cup finely grated sweet potato SS: That's about half of one large sweet potato
1/2 10-oz package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped nuts, optional SS: I didn't use these
2 oz. crumbled feta cheese, optional
2 tbs. finely diced onoin
1 tbs. fesh parsley or cilantro SS: I used parsley
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp. salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 400F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine egg, flour, tahini (or nut butter), and vinegar in bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients, then mash together until mixture is firm enough to shape into cakes. Shape mixture into 1/4-cup patties with wet hands. Bake on prepared baking sheet 25 minutes, turning once, or until cakes are browned.

ROASTED RED PEPPER SAUCE
Ingredients
1-1/2 cups roasted red peppers, drained SS: Equivalent to 1 16 oz. jar
1/2 cup toasted almonds
1 clove garlic
2 tsp. red wine vinegar

Directions
Puree all ingredients in food processor.

So, there you have it! I only needed to purchase a sweet potato, feta cheese and parsley for the cakes, and the roasted red peppers for the sauce. This recipe makes quite a bit of sauce. I found that the sauce was great for veggies - try celery or snow peas!

3 comments:

  1. This looks really good! You're making me hungry and I don't feel like cooking tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got a huge bag of Quinoa from Costco, so I'm trying to figure out what to do with it all! I'm gonna need to buy some of these things, but I'll try this recipe out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Libby - thank you! This was absoultely amazing, haha.

    @xoxotara - please let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete