So why is this the best burger in town? Well, let's just say that the sauteed onions give the burger depth, while the hummus gives it great texture, and with all of the wonderful spices involved...it has great flavor, not to mention it's super healthy - this is energy food people! When you top it off with a homemade tahini sauce - you have added a nice zing, and that's when it hits you -- Best Veggie Burger Ever! It doesn't look like much, but just trust me on this one, it's pretty awesome.
Baked Eggplant Burger aka Best Veggie Burger Ever
Makes 4-6 patties
Adapted from The Tolerant Vegan
2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more to brush on eggplant before roasting
1 red onion, diced
1 14 ounce can cannellini beans
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
1/2 an eggplant (should equal about 1 cup)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon pine nuts
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup classic hummus (or your favorite flavor hummus)
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
Optional burger toppings (Ex. lettuce, tomato, pickle)
1/3 cup sesame tahini
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Salt to taste
- To make the burgers, preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roast the eggplant by cutting it into 1/4" slices and brushing each side with olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes on one side, then flip the slices and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Once the eggplant is done and you remove it from the oven, turn the oven down to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the eggplant is roasting, place the diced red onion and 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring often, until the onions soften.
- Place the eggplant, onion, beans, bell pepper, parsley, pine nuts, garlic, sea salt and cumin into a large bowl.
- Add the hummus and stir.
- Place the mixture into a food processor and blend everything together. It should only take about 15 seconds.
- Pour the mixture back into a bowl, stir in the breadcrumbs, and use your hands to make four large patties.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray the foil with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the patties on the foil and bake for 45 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- While the burgers are baking, make the tahini sauce by tossing all of the ingredients into a food processor and blending until fully combined.
- Remove the burgers from the oven, serve on pita, add tahini sauce, then toppings, and eat!