Spiced Bean and Herb Hash

Doesn't this sound just delish! My brother and I prepared this dish for the fam while I made a pit stop at home traveling for work a couple of weeks ago. My mom, dad and brother, really enjoyed this aside an herbed chicken breast. I served this over rice, and my dinner was complete!

Spiced Bean and Herb Hash
Serves 4
Source: The Illustrated Quick Cook

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra as needed
1 tablespoon butter
1 red onon, coarsely chopped
Handful of fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked
1 lb (450 kg) russet (baking) potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 14oz can chili beans
2/3 cup hot vegetable stock
Handful of flat-leaft parsley, finely chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
  1. Heat the oil and butter in a nonstick frying pan over low heat. Add the onion, a pinch of salt, and the thyme leaves, and cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft.
  2. Add the potatoes and cook until ightly browned at the edges - you may need to add more olive oil to accomplish this.
  3. When the potatoes are nearly tender - about 15 minutes - stir in the chili beans. Pour in the hot stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the parsley and season well with salt and pepper. Serve hot. SS: Cooking potatoes is not a quick task, especially if you want them to be soft and tender. I found that the potatoes needed to cook much longer than 15 minutes to get them to the right texture.

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous of your creativity and skills in the kitchen. Your hubby is a lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete