Pumpkin Tofu Curry

What do you get when you take leftover Thanksgiving pumpkin, and add Indian-inspired flavor? Pumpkin Tofu Curry! The original recipe here called for one pound of shrimp (to be added in at the end, where I added the tofu). While I do still eat seafood, I just haven't had the taste for shrimp in a while, thus, I decided to substitute the shrimp with some good ole tofu. My brother liked this dish, he ate it for dinner with me, and really enjoyed it. I love that he's so open to trying new things - he doesn't even cringe at the thought of a meatless meal anymore (at least when the flavor is there)!

In terms of taste, what can I say - this has curry, and pumpkin, and tomatoes, and it simmers for 30 + minutes. The flavors of this dish are deep with a little bit of spice, tart, and a subtle sweetness. The squash addition also makes this a very satisfying meal. NOTE: This is NOT a weeknight meal.

Pumpkin Tofu Curry
Adapted from bon appetit, November 2011 Issue
Serves 4-6


Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for shallots
1 cup sliced onion
1 tbsp minced giner
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 chopped plum tomato
1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1-1/2 tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup diced butternut squash
200 g cubed extra firm tofu
1-1/2 tsp fresh lime juice
1 cup dry basmati rice
1 shallot, sliced

Directions
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and ginger, and saute until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomato and pumpkin puree, cook stirring frequently, until pumpkin is golden brown, about 10 minutes.

Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, curry, and cayenne; simmer for 20 minutes. Add squash, tofu, and lime juice. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until squash is warm. Meanwhile, heat additional oil in skillet, add shallots, cook until just browning. Serve with steamed rice, top with fried shallots.

2 comments:

  1. I hope it tastes better than it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous - LOL, and here I was thinking it looked tasty. I guess tofu with orange sauce and fried shallots doesn't look good to everyone.

    ReplyDelete