Detangling, Styling & Profiling

Hello, hello, hello!  Wow, it's been so long since I've last written.  I have a lot of really good news to write about.  Last time I blogged, I discussed my eager frustration with my hair - the shrinkage, fairy knots, etc.

WELL...thanks to my fav blog (BGLH - which has a NEW SITE, PLEASE CHECK IT OUT!!!) I have found some good detangling techniques that I have tried and officially CO-SIGN them!  Also, I took a recent trip to Atlanta and saw SOOO many new natural styles, I have tons of inspiration and new ideas to try now that I'm home again.

First things first, DETANGLING/stretching!  I recently became a subscriber to youTuber Kimmay.  Although she's a 4a, I thought I could use her detangling techniques to help STRETCH my kinky coils.  You can click here for a direct link to her stretch vid, but here's a quick summary of what I did based on her method:
1. Shampoo *a must for me w/ working out
2. Deep Condition & DETANGLE while conditioner is in there, IN SECTIONS (about 12 for me)
   2a. Finger comb through hair
   2b. Comb through hair using a wide-tooth comb starting @ the ends and working your way to the roots
   2c. Twist that section once detangling is complete
   2d. Repeat for another section
3. Rinse out conditioner, I make sure to squeeze the twists to ensure I get all the conditioner out
4. Grab my essentials (raw shea butter *microwaved to make it nice and buttery*, aloe vera & avocado oil *idea swipe from BGLH via Rachel from Little Golden Lamb*, then take out twists and braid each twist section.

I then let my hair dry (via sleeping with a satin cap overnight) and have seen GREAT results.  I've used this method about 3 times now and can say that my hair is *slightly* more manageable when I wash it now.  My twists are also more stretched using this method, and THUS, so is my twist-out.

As for styling...I typically two-strand twist it the next day and wear twists Mon-Fri.  I apply avo oil to the twist ends every other day.  Friday night through Sunday, I rock twist-outs I apply more whipped shea butter & oil to the twist out parts.  I separate the twists to fluff *idea swipe from BGLH via Andrea from Fly*.  I find that rocking a twist-out for more than 3 days leads to rough ends for me, so I try to minimize the amount that I wear it out like that.

Check out pics below for some of my twist/braid out successes from this method.  BTW - using my essential products, my hair feels so soft and silky and has shine - I love it!!!


Note: My hair will lay down *somewhat* the day that I take out the twists/braids.  However, after one-night of sleep I see a more anti-gravity look, which still works just fine for me!

2 comments:

  1. Your hair awesome. Kimmay's channel is one of the best on youtube. Have you seen rustic beauty on youtube?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jc!!! I love Kimmay's channel! I haven't heard of rustic beauty but will subscribe...NOW! :)

    ReplyDelete