I'm married now, I barely craft or cook, and I finally decided to shut my blog down

This post may be a huge surprise to a lot of people's blogroll feed. This is Monique, I'm still alive, I'm blessed, and I'm well. I apologize for my long departure. I continuously toy with ending the blog, and leaving it open for a comeback on a low committal basis. I've finally decided to come to peace with closing this chapter of my life. Before that, I'll provide a few updates...





1. I'm actually a Mrs. now!

I handed in my single card and married a wonderful man, a fellow classmate, on 12/20. He's anti posting pictures online, so sorry, no pictures of him :(. He's handsome, brawny, brown, and hails from the island of Dominica. We had a medium-sized ceremony and reception with about 70 people at a restaurant outside of Pittsburgh. It was beautiful, and I feel so blessed to have met my life partner. We are getting ready to move to Minneapolis once we graduate in May. I'll be working for a major retailer as a buyer, and he's doing IT consulting for a large accounting firm. Naja loves him, and they get along quite well.

2. Little miss thing - that's Naja - is 3.5, and she is really a big girl now

I'm talking sass, intelligence, even a little deception at times! She stays home with my mother-in-law, and will be entering Pre-K at a school in Minneapolis this summer/fall. Every day is a new challenge - some that are frustrating, but I'm learning:
  • Don't take things personal
  • Be consistent (and firm)
  • Make sure she knows momma don't play that!
3. As for crafting or fun stuff, I'll call the wedding my latest craft project.

I DIY'd a lot: the centerpieces, the farewell wave wands, the signs, the favors and the programs. I seriously need a job that pays me to do these things since I always seem to find myself doing this stuff for free!

4. I got Sisterlocks!

You know I've had hair woes for forever. My hubby told me he would make my SL installation a wedding gift (what a guy). I have had the SL for almost 2 months now, and I love them. No turning back or taking these things down.

5. I'm a blogger who is really focused on her career, so that means all of the artsy stuff gets put on the backburner.

This is why I continue to buy cookbooks, and pin crafts to pinterest, and agree to help other people with things. As a full-time grad student/working mom/wife, I've come to a few anti-good-blogger conclusions:
  • I don't have time to take pictures of Naja when the lighting is best (mainly because lighting is best during the day, and I don't see her then)
  • I can't tell you the last time I prepared a meal during the week (I thank God for my mother-in-law's authentic Caribbean culinary skills)
  • My crafting happens a la carte when it needs to happen, which is very rare
  • I haven't been shopping for myself in the past five months (gasp!) - thankfully, I do still wear clothes daily
  • I don't participate in the community of blogging anymore
I want to be the "go-getter blogger who does it all mom," but I realized that if I try to be her - I'll go crazy. Don't worry - I've read Lean In, so I know she doesn't exist, but I still try. However I need to stop trying, and just accept me as I am: A career focused woman who likes artsy stuff, cooking, and style, but doesn't have time to document this love daily.

With that said, I've connected with so many wonderful people, and shared so much of my life, and I'm grateful for that opportunity. Thank you for joining me in this journey. Thank you for sharing this space with me. It's been real. Peace.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, my friend! You and Naja are so beautiful and are so happy. I'm happy for you. I totally understand your need to close down this space. And don't you worry, I've still got your email. lol I'm wishing you continued success, loads of blessings, and all the best. And guess what? 12/20 was when my parents were married back in 1969 so you know I'll remember that date! Again, lots of love.

    xoxo,
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libby - thanks so much for commenting. You are definitely a friend that I've met through the blog. It seems that 12/20 was a great day for a lot of long-lasting marriages, so I'm so happy to hear that. We'll definitely keep in touch :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well congratulations! You look beautiful. Peace.

    ReplyDelete